Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

March 7, 2011

Asparagus with Creamy Mustard Sauce

Martha, Martha, Martha.

Martha had to know that this creamy mustard sauce wasn't her best work.At first glance of the recipe, PJ already had decided that he wasn't going to like it. Especially with that vinegar in there. And not cooked. I had hopes. Plus, at this point we had to make it. It was for Martha Mondays. He does benefit from the good food I make, but I guess it means he also has to suffer through some of the not-so-tasty meals. This being one of them. 

Like I said, I had hopes even though he didn't. I don't even think I served him any sauce with his asparagus. I didn't want to pour mine directly over my asparagus, so that I could still enjoy my roasted asparagus even if I didn't enjoy the sauce so much. When I dipped my finger in the fully combined sauce to taste it a bit, I gagged, I'm not gonna lie. It was pretty gross. The vinegar was overwhelming. PJ dabbed his finger in to confirm that it really was disgusting. His face explained everything. But I, being the good food blogger that I am (modest?), had to still get a good picture of my vinegary sauce even if it wasn't gonna be eaten. So after I got all of my pictures finished, I had that sauce on my plate. I had already decided in my mind that it was nasty, but I just decided to give it another try with the asparagus. And you know what? It was actually way better. I spread a tad over some asparagus pieces and actually enjoyed the flavor it gave. No longer did I taste the overwhelming vinegar flavor, thank goodness. By the end of the meal, I was actually thinking to myself that I could maybe even make that sauce again. But I must remember to never taste it by itself! 

Unfortunately, we doubled the recipe in the beginning because we were having scallops and mushrooms also, and thought we would want more sauce to dip our scallops in also. But after we each tasted it, we realized we really could have made half of the recipe! Also, we didn't have dijon mustard so we just used regular mustard. And we didn't steam the asparagus, we roasted it.


















Asparagus with Creamy Mustard Sauce
adapted from Martha Stewart

*Mustard Sauce
  • 4 tablespoons mayo
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons mustard
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
*Roasted Asparagus
  • asparagus with ends off
  • drizzle of olive oil
  • sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder

Rinse asparagus and tear off the ends. Place on a pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast asparagus in the oven at 425 degrees for 14 minutes.

Meanwhile, for the sauce, stir together mayo, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and mustard in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over or serve with roasted asparagus. 



















FYI I love that adorable bowl, don't you?! I got a matching soup bowl, tiny dip ramekin, a medium sized ramekin, and salad plate. I love it so.

I am sharing this recipe with Martha Mondays.





Peace, and bacon grease!


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked it, but I didn't try it plain. On the asparagus I thought it was good. This would not taste good on scallops though I don't think!

Lyndas recipe box said...

Roasted asparagus is my favorite way to eat it; to bad the mustard sauce wasn't the best. Your photo certainly looks delicious though!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower- I see many yummy looking treats here to try. :)

Anonymous said...

We did like this. Yours might not have been as good because of the type of mustard you subbed in. I am glad you chose it and frankly, I would make it again on other foods.

Your photo is great. Thanks for selecting it.

Anonymous said...

What a shame that you didn't like it. It looks so appetising. I didn't make the project this week but I think I will still give it a go when asparagus is in season.

Unknown said...

I wonder if using regular mustard had anything to do with the icky flavor? Then again...2 Tbls of white wine vinegar is a lot! At least you didn't ruin the asparagus by dumping the sauce over it all :)

Desi said...

Yeah I'm thinkin the regular mustard may have had something to do with it. Maybe the strong dijon flavor would have balanced out the vinegar? I dunno, but it was ok for me with the asparagus, but since the man doesn't like it we probably won't make it again :(

Unknown said...

That's hilarious! So funny that you didn't like the sauce until you had it with some of the asparagus. We liked this in our house so thanks for giving us a new way to serve asparagus!