Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

February 8, 2013

Sausage Biscuits and Gravy Casserole


Do you guys love breakfast food like I do? 



















I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. That's how much I love me some breakfast. And I mean savory breakfast. I don't go gaga over pastries and muffins, though I do like those also. My true loves are BACON (have you seen my sign-off?), sausage, hashbrowns, you know, fatty high-caloric goodness to get my day started off right :) 

 














So could I pass up on the idea of this casserole? Nope. Sausage and biscuits and gravy and potatoes in casserole form.  

And Paula Deen's milk gravy recipe calls for bacon grease. Oh yay, a reason to make bacon :)





















Sausage Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
casserole recipe adapted from Pillsbury and The Tasty Fork, with Paula Deen's milk gravy recipe
  • 1 lb breakfast maple sausage
  • 24-oz bag frozen diced potatoes
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • can of 8 Pillsbury Grands jumbo biscuits
  • salt and pepper for seasoning
  • 1/2 cup mild cheddar jack cheese, + more for topping biscuits if desired
  • Paula Deen's Milk Gravy (recipe follows)

Brown sausage in a large skillet. Drain.

In a separate large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and frozen potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until desired doneness. We like our potatoes a bit crispy so it took a bit longer. 

Prepare milk gravy according to recipe below.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 13x9 inch dish and layer cooked potatoes and sausage, then cheese, and then cover with the gravy. Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Top with shredded cheese and return to oven for 5 minutes to melt cheese, if desired. 

Milk Gravy
  • 1/4 cup bacon grease
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 and 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Heat bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly for about 1 minute. Add the warm milk slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir, until thickened, about 5 minutes, adding milk as necessary to control the thickness. Season the gravy with salt and pepper.

Printable Recipe
















We topped our biscuits with cheese and cooked it for the full time. You don't have to add any on top if you don't want, since there is already some cooking along in the casserole. But if you do top your biscuits with cheese we'd recommend only cooking for the 5 minutes at the end. The cheese was a little burnt and crispy on top but it was still good! The recipe above reflects that modification.

Make this for your family and they will love you. Or send some my way and I'll love you just as much :)
 

Peace, and bacon grease!




3 comments:

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

My family LOVES having breakfast for dinner! I am going to make this for my son's birthday! He'll be thrilled!! Pinning! Would love it you would share this at my Share with Us party!
http://www.lemonsforlulu.com/2013/02/09/saturday-share-with-us/

Chris said...

We adore biscuits and sausage gravy so I know I'd love this!

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

I'm so grateful you linked this up to Saturday Share With Us Desi. I hope you come back tomorrow!