Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

February 15, 2013

Avocado Bacon and Eggs


I am on FIRE this week with posting!! This never happens. Must be something about this week. All the love in the air, maybe?

Brenda has started The Eating the Alphabet challenge back up! The letters this month were A or B. I chose A for avocado. But is it a fruit or vegetable? Wikipedia says it's a fruit, but I've always thought of it as a vegetable. What do I know?






















By now, you guys know I'm a breakfast girl. 

Yeah, I may be eating it at noon on a weekend "morning" but nonetheless, I love my breakfast. 







You know what else I love just as much as breakfast? Avocados. Crazy how I used to be so scared of that green stuff that now makes my life so worth living. Yeah, I live a boring life  :)

























So this right here is some of my favorite things all together in one recipe. I can satisfy my love of breakfast food, specifically BACON, and my love of avocado all at once. 

Not gonna lie, getting that egg to stay in the avocado hole can be a little frustrating. Make sure to dig a deep enough hole that the whole egg can sit in without spilling over. I didn't wanna scoop out too much avocado because I was scared there wouldn't be enough in the finished product! But next time I'd definitely scoop out some more because there was still plenty of avocado.  I also used my usual large eggs  and next time would try it with medium eggs to see if that helps it fit in the avocado better without spilling over.

 
















Avocado Bacon and Eggs
from California Avocado
  • 1 large avocado
  • 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
  • 2 eggs
Cut the avocado in half. Scoop out the avocado so the hole matches the size of your eggs to prevent spillage. Crack an egg into each half of the avocado, resting the edge of the avocado on the side of the cookie sheet to help keep the avocado steady. Top with bacon crumbs and place in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until eggs are cooked to your likings. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Printable Recipe 






















What a fantastic blend of salty from the bacon, and creamy from the avocado, with a little runny yolk from the egg. And I liked the warm avocado, it was a nice change from the cool that I usually associate with avocado.

Probably making this again this weekend. It's that good. Would I lie to you?





  
Peace, and bacon grease!





31 comments:

Gretchen said...

I am not an avocado fan, but my husband and son are....I suspect they're going to be very excited when I show them this--thanks! :)

Emily said...

Yum! I love avocado but I've never baked them before. Trying this out this weekend!
-Emily @ www.ecofriendlyecb.com

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh this looks so yummy! I just have to make this, I know we will be crazy for it. Thanks for sharing - and the tips.

Christi said...

Oh my goodness- I am drooling! Love avocado, what a perfect lunch. Thanks for sharing!

Christi
http://the-not-so-perfect-momblog.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

This looks ridiculous in the best possible way!!! Scooping out avocado just means that you get to eat spoonfuls of avocado while it cooks ;)

Chris said...

Dudette...I am 100% making this for Alexis soon. She loves avocados and baked eggs, the two together, forget about it!

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

Oh my gosh Deis! I love this! My family eats a lot of avocados and I love serving them in different ways! I bet the salty bacon is delicious with the creamy avocado! I am pinning this for sure! Come link this up today at Saturday Share With Us! Awesome recipe!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

YUM!! I wanted to let you know that I featured this in my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post today - stop by and see!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I love avocados and I can't wait to try this...it looks divine!

Unknown said...

Hi Desi! I wanted to let you know that I picked your recipe as my host favorite from Foodie Friends Friday! You can see the write up and pick upb your badge at http://wp.me/p2MupJ-1tC
AFTER 12:00ET pm on Monday, 18,1013. Thanks for sharing!!
Cindy@ cindysrecipesandwritings.com

Unknown said...

We love eggs and avocados so this would be a perfect breakfast. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope you will join us again this coming week.

Michelle B said...

Know what my favorite thing to eat with eggs is? Avocado! I just love that creamy texture paired with eggs. Love the bacon added to this. Thanks for linking!

Faith said...

Yum!! Looks so good!

Love the new header!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up at Show Me Your Plaid Monday's! This avocado looks killer!

Hun.... WFD said...

This looks wonderful! I love avocado! Thanks for linking to Simple Supper Tuesday.

Unknown said...

I am not a breakfast girl, but my family loves breakfast. I am sure this would be a big hit!

Forgive me for taking so long to come and thank you for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen party. I have been on vacation and am playing catch up!

I look forward to seeing what you bring to the party next week!

Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

Unknown said...

Holy cow these look good. Just wrote them down on my list of things to make this week!

Thanks for sharing at last weekends link party @The Weekend re-Treat!

Just pinned them to my link party board too!

Sue said...

I love eating avocados plain, so I can only imagine how YUMMY this is! You can bet I am going to try it:)

Unknown said...

Will have to try this!

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Holy deliciousness, Batman! Totally featuring you on my blog hop this week. Come on over and grab a featured button!

Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Little C said...

Yum! My three favorite foods all together! I have baked eggs in muffin cups, but never in an avocado - definitely going to try!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen said...

This looks like a perfect breakfast! I always have avocado with my eggs but now they can literally be together : )

S. @ The Captivating Life said...

I LOVE avocados and have been looking for more breakfast recipes. This looks perfect and so delicious - thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I have 5 avocados ripening on my counter. Hurry up avocadoes, I MUST make this recipe.

Heavenly Bodies said...

Like you I also was not a big avocado fan, but recently I need to get more potassium and avocados are full of it. This looks so good pinning it.

Followed you here from the Clever Chicks blog hop.

Birdie said...

This looks awesome. My husband adores avocados! I am going to try it!

DiddydelDesigns said...

I absolutely love this recipe! I'm lying in bed drooling with my belly grumbling just looking at the pictures. I know what I'm having for breakfast now. I love to eat eggs everyday and I now have a different way to cook them!
You are definatly a chic with attitude!
Thank you.

Avocado Diva said...

One of my fans posted your recipe and I had to come check it out! We ship and sell rare and special avocados at www.AvocadoDiva.com

Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Made these - turned out great!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I was dreadfully disappointed despite all the excitement I had making it. THE AVOCADO TURNED OUT EXCEPTIONALLY BITTER! Why? I cannot explain it.... can anyone figure out why this avocado that was delish & NOT bitter in its raw & cool state became very bitter? Was it from the skin of the avocado perhaps? I followed your instructions to a tee and bacon & egg was just perfect. But puke to the avocado part. Sadly.

Unknown said...

i tried thgis and it was very good just make sure you put it in long enough to cook the egg