Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

February 18, 2013

Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce + Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips with Caramel

Hey there friends.

Did you guys have a nice weekend? Mine was pretty uneventful. I like those sometimes though.

It's time for this month's Secret Recipe Club. I was assigned Danielle's blog, Hugs & CookiesXOXO, you know... the one with all the to-die-for creative treats! It was so hard to choose a recipe! But I was sold when I saw homemade salted caramel. You guys know about my love of salted caramel by now. 



 





















I did have some probs with the salted caramel sauce. But I tend to have problems lol. The sugar did melt when over heat, but when I removed it from heat like the recipe says, it got all clumpy and hard as a rock. I really thought my sauce was doomed. But I decided to just go with it and added the heavy cream and put it back over the heat to get that hardened sugar soft again. Not sure if I messed something up along the way, but I'd say don't remove it from heat. She also recommends adding the cream drop by drop... I added in a little at a time but more than a drop, stirring here and there. You can add it drop by drop if you like.

 






















Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce 
slightly adapted from Hugs & CookiesXOXO
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 and 2/3 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter
  • 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt   
Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal pot, at least 6 quarts. Set over a moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy. 

Use a wooden spoon and begin stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center, delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going until it is melted completely and an amber color. If you think it is cooking too fast, lower the heat and keep stirring. Be patient. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown. 

Add the heavy cream, stirring in a little at a time. Once smooth, add butter and sea salt. Remove from heat and let cool. Will store in fridge up to one month.

Printable Recipe

 























And then what to do with that caramel? (besides slurp it up by the spoonful).

 























Well, one thing I did with it was use it to top some chocolate-dipped potato chips, also from Danielle's blog. Another sweet and salty win. Ever since I tried some chocolate covered potato chips from Sweeties Jumbo Chocolates, I've been hooked.















Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips with Caramel
from Hugs & CookiesXOXO 
  • thick, wavy potato chips (like Lay's)
  • melting chocolates (I used Wilton's candy melts)
  • Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce (recipe above)
  • coarse sea salt
Melt chocolate, dip potato chips in chocolate. Sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to set at room temperature or in fridge. Drizzle with caramel.

Printable Recipe 

 























This is sweet and salty heaven. So much better than I was expecting. I think I'm gonna turn that whole bag of chips into chocolate and caramel-covered chips. Nothing wrong with that. Actually, it would be wrong if I didn't.

Don't EVEN try to doubt the goodness. 


Peace, and bacon grease!



41 comments:

Amy said...

Sweet, caramel-y, chocolate-y, salty goodness. Want. Some. Now!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

She does have amazing treats, doesn't she? I would love to try this salted caramel, I've never made it. SO many things to do with it, besides hide in a corner with a spoon. :-)

Ashley said...

I had similar problems with caramel lately...but this still looks wonderful! Love the sweet and salty combo!

Jamie said...

I'm obsessed with that combination! These would be a great treat for football games.... but I'll have to come up with a new excuse since that sport is over HAHA

DANIELLE said...

i'd say from the looks of your pictures your problems were verrry minor-looks fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!! u did the right thing going back on the heat with it! your chips look to die for! xoxo

Melissa said...

What a fantastic flavor combination! I love the sweet and salty combo. Great SRC choice!

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

Messed up or not, this looks like the most heavenly treat ever! I'm a sucker for sweet, salty crunchy - looks so amazing.

annies home said...

oh my what a treat salty and sweet in one
come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Kate said...

What a great choice! I have no idea why caramel sauce intimidates me. Means it's time to make some!

Kirstin said...

Wow I bet that was yummy! I'm a fellow SRC member, group D

Rhonda said...

You are singing my song, sweet and salty! You obviously made a more than great recovery.

Heather said...

oh, man! This looks like a midnight snack awaiting.. I'm new this month to the group C, so I hope you stop by and visit! http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2013/02/avocado-cup-salad.html

Jamie said...

Wow, I have never even thought of trying chocolate dipped potato chips! They do look good!
~Jamie

Sharon said...

Yummy they look so good!

Teri said...

I love this caramel sauce. What a great choice. Love the potato chips too. Yum Yum!

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

This is some seriously yummy looking caramel! Love it, especially with the chips! Great idea! Can't go wrong with the salty sweet combo!

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

That caramel sauce looks so good...Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



Blackberry Vine said...

My mouth is watering!!! Those chips look devine! If you haven't already had a chance, I'd love for you to stop by and share them at the 100th Tuesday To Do Party over at The Blackberry Vine! http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2013/02/tuesday-to-do-party-100-99-list-makers.html

Smiles!
Jami
The Blackberry Vine

Faith said...

Omg!! Are you serious right now?! That looks amazing!!

Did you know that I'm obsessed with chocolate covered potato chips?! I need some!!

Cinnamon Freud said...

Love caramel sauce, and I love the double element of salt & sweet combo by putting it on a potato chip. Yum!

Unknown said...

Oh Wow! You are on fire this week! Thanks for linking up to Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!

Veronica Miller said...

I don't doubt the goodness for a second! This is the sauce, girl. The. sauce.

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Yum!!! These look amazing! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

Kimberly said...

Looks so good!! I love chocolate covered potato chips, Im sure that caramel puts it over the top!! YUM!

Kimberly said...

Looks so good!! I love chocolate covered potato chips, Im sure that caramel puts it over the top!! YUM!

Hun.... WFD said...

Oh goodness these look FABULOUS!! Thanks so much for joining Simple Supper Tuesday!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Salty and sweet works. What a great combo this is.

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

Looks delicious! Great SRC choice!

Donna said...

These look amazing!

Unknown said...

I would have never thought to do this, but I am glad I know about it now! I love sweet and salty!

Thanks for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen party! See you next week!

Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

Anonymous said...

Sweet, salty, crunchy AND chocolaty? Oh my goodness, this is the *perfect* late night snack!

I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.
http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-9/

- Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com

Becky McNeer said...

what a genius invention!!! Please come link them to Foodtastic Friday!

Unknown said...

These look super delicious! You can send some my way, please! :)

Sharon ~ Life After Empty Nest said...

Yum! Nothing better than sweet and salty! Putting this on my "to make" list!

Unknown said...

Yummy, trifecta here, chips chocolate caramel. Nuff said!!

Unknown said...

wow those are a treat. I am definitely keeping your salted caramel recipe. I have only tried caramel once so wish me luck. thanks for stopping by Friday food Frenzy!

Unknown said...

Sweet! Love them! Thanks for sharing at Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker! Hope to see you there again on Monday night!

Adelina Priddis said...

Not sure about the chips, but I'm definitely going to try the salted caramel

Unknown said...

This looks so easy, yet so go good! I've never tried this, must rectify immediately!

Diane Balch said...

You got me... I love the sweet salty thing... hmmm. Thanks for sharing your recipe with us on foodie friday.

Marlene Detierro said...

Great recipe… I love salted caramel sauce (especially on ice cream in the summer!). Love your step by step photos, too!

Marlene
Info site for Seattle Horizontal Drilling Outfit