Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

July 2, 2010

Cheddar-Mashed Potato Casserole [and seafood]


So... I tried a new recipe called Cheddar-Mashed Potato Casserole from Kraft Foods website, of which I am a member. I think my recipe turned out delicious, even though I had to improvise with what I had. 

...and here is the original recipe:


Cheddar-Mashed Potato Casserole (from Kraft Foods website)



2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes (about 6), peeled, quartered
2 Tbsp.  Butter
1/2 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
1 cup  KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese
6 slices OSCAR MAYER Bacon, cooked, crumbled 
1. Cook potatoes in boiling water in large saucepan 20 min. or until tender; drain. Return to pan.  
2. Heat oven to 350ºF. Add butter and sour cream to potatoes; mash until smooth. Spoon half into 1-1/2-qt. casserole; cover with layers of cheese, remaining potato mixture and bacon.   
3. Bake 30 to 35 min. or until heated through.




Like I said before, I did not use exactly what the recipe called for. I used 6 small red potatoes rather than Yukon gold potatoes, and I left the peel on and boiled them. Next time, I think I will peel them like the recipe says. I did not beat the potatoes in the pan as to not cause damage to it, so I just beat them in a large mixing bowl. Then drain. 


I also did not use that exact brand of sour cream, just a basic Kroger brand. The main difference was that I used 1 cup shredded hot pepper cheese instead of cheddar cheese. While the flavor is great, it did not look like the picture because I didn't have the contrasting orange color of the cheddar. I also did not have a real mashed potato whipper, so I just smashed them. Therefore, they weren't nearly as 'mashed' as they should have been, but still tasty. 

  


I did use Oscar Mayer center cut thick-sliced bacon, which is the best bacon I have encountered, and I am the bacon queen! I probably didn't have as much bacon topping as I should have, since I couldn't resist and kept sneaking little nibbles of the bacon. Sorry, I just can't resist!


But be sure to pat down the bacon with a paper towel, to get some of that grease off.
I love bacon so I gotta take some of the grease off at least :)


Before......



and after...


Still some grease but not nearly as much. I'm sure I saved some calories :)


Finally, I layered it all together in a casserole dish and baked as directed. And don't forget to add salt and pepper for flavor!


Here is the finished result.... (not exactly like the original recipe!)
 


And for all of you health fanatics who watch your calorie intake, 
here is the nutritional information for this delish side dish!


***per serving (1/2 cup)***


170 Calories, 30 mg Cholesterol, 1 g Dietary fiber,
6%DV Vitamin A, 0%DV Iron, 10 g Total fat,
190 mg Sodium, 2 g Sugars, 4%DV Vitamin C,
6 g Saturated fat, 16 g Carbohydrate, 5 g Protein, 10%DV Calcium




Well obviously this isn't the most healthy side dish, but hey, I never claimed to be a health freak! See my name?! LOL! Anything with bacon, cheese, and sour cream in it can't be TOO healthy, but it is pretty much guaranteed to be delish!



My main dish was pan-seared scallops with butter poured on top...

(Pictured Raw)



And some mini shrimp cocktail along with homemade cocktail sauce
served as an app...
 

Overall, this was a great meal... seafood and potatoes = yummy!

No comments: