Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

May 21, 2012

May's Secret Recipe Club - Bechamel Sauce

Yo.

I'm suffering, people. I can't eat anything! Well, I can eat some things, but nothing that is satisfying me! I got my wisdom teeth removed the other day and have been eating soup, ice cream, and yogurt for the past 2 days. I'm over it.

So when the time came to select a Secret Recipe Club recipe, I knew my options were limited. Tandy has some great recipes on her site... if only I could eat them! Maybe I should have made something earlier so I'd have more options and would be able to eat some of her yummy recipes, especially ones that are on my (not-yet-finished) 30 by 30 recipe list. I wanted to make her savory souffle, eclairs, and creme brulee. But I ended up picking her bechamel sauce. I was intrigued because I've heard of this sauce before, and she recommended it with scallops and I figured I could eat scallops since they are soft.

Bechamel is a basic white sauce. You guys know I'm all about the sauces. So I couldn't pass up an opportunity to try a new sauce, plus eat some beloved scallops which sounded so much better than yogurt or soup. 



















Not gonna lie, I tasted the sauce by itself and I wasn't a fan. It didn't really have much taste or flavor. But with the scallops it was better, but still not very much flavor. I learned that it is really more of a base for other sauces, like mornay, or as a base in lasagnas, mac and cheese, or gratins. 


Bechamel Sauce
from Lavender and Lime
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 thick slice of white onion
  • a dash or two of nutmeg + more for seasoning, if desired
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
  • salt, for seasoning
In a pot, gently heat milk, bay leaf, onion, and dash or two of nutmeg. Remove from heat just before it comes to boil. Cover and set aside to infuse for 30 minutes. Strain the milk into a bowl or container and discard the bay leaf and onions. In the same pot, add butter and melt over low heat. Add the flour and stir briskly until smooth to form a roux. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil and whisk to prevent lumps. Season with pepper, salt, and more nutmeg if desired. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Printable Recipe


I did have to convert measurements, so hopefully my google searching was accurate.

I will definitely be trying this bechamel sauce base in some lasagnas and macaroni and cheese recipes soon! 


Annnnnnnd now I think I have pieces of scallop in my teeth  :(


Peace, and bacon grease!



17 comments:

Teri said...

Bechamel sauce is a great base sauce, and such a wonderful one to know how to make. Your sauce and scallops sound fantastic, and I am looking forward to making them. Hope your teeth feel better!!

Cindy said...

Ouch! Hope you are feeling better. I've watched my kids suffer at the removal of wisdom teeth.
Bechamel is a basic sauce that can be transformed easily with the addition of herbs, cheeses etc. It's a great sauce to play with!

Toni said...

I use bechamel sauce all the time. In lasagna with the marinara and as a base for a lot of dishes. Mix in some parmesan and romano a few herbs, some steamed asparagus and good ham and serve as a filling/sauce for crepes. YUM!
Great post! It's a sauce everyone should know how to make.

Aly ~ Cooking in Stilettos said...

Get better soon! This is one of those sauces that will be in your repertoire forever - glad you rocked it :) Mine - well, let's just say I'm still learning how not to destroy the bechamel

Rhonda said...

Poor baby, getting the wizzies out sucks. Good news it that they don't grow back!

In the sauce world it's so important to know the basic and go from there, now you have another one to check off your list!

Chelsy Ethridge said...

Um, I am day dreaming about pouring this beautiful sauce over my chicken right now!

Bubbe Bites said...

I hope you feel beter. You know once you get the basics of a good bechamel sauce down. You can cook just about anything.

Faith said...

Wait? Tired of eating ice cream? I don't think we can be friends anymore! ;)

Anonymous said...

This is a great sauce to use as a base for anything you can imagine! So sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth - it is not the nicest surgery to have.

Unknown said...

I just had two of my wisdom teeth pulled a few months ago.. you'll be back to eating anything and everything in no time :)
But.. until then.. just keep making sauces!! LOVE bechamel sauce.. it goes with so many things too!

Unknown said...

Love the idea of serving this with scallops - probably if you flavour the sauce up with some nice herbs it would be perfect. :) Great choice for SRC - hope your teeth feel better soon. :)

Anonymous said...

I have had wisdom teeth removed and know what you are going through. I think with scallops, you might enjoy adding a little tarragon to the recipe. I think tarragon goes so well with seafood. Nice recipe.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, I hope your mouth is feeling better, Desi! I think the only bechamel sauce I've made was for something like lasagna...and not sure if I tasted it plain :)

Anonymous said...

HELLO BESTIE! I've got a new blog! I'm loving yours! Man, help me get as good as you are!

Visit me at ohmarcey.blogspot.com

Veronica Miller said...

Poor Desi! The wisdom teeth pulling and recover is not fun at all! My cheeks got so swollen there were bruises on them and I already have really fat cheeks so I was pretty much a bruised cheek chipmunk-LOL! Sorry the bechamel sauce didn't snazz up the scallops for you. :( I remember I got so desperate for real food (I prett much lived off ice cream) that I blended up refried beans, salsa, and cheese thinking it would be the awesomesauce and then I couldn't eat it because drinking your food...that's just not cool. LOL!

Chris said...

Hope you feel better soon, kiddo.

But yeah, make that bechamel into a mornay sauce and pour it over an open faced turkey, bacon, tomato sandwich. You have yourself a Kentucky Hot Brown. Friggin delicious.

Trisha said...

Hope u'r feeling better now!

I'm hosting a giveaway over at my blog and would love for you to stop by and participate.

http://www.myhobbielobbie.com/2012/05/my-200th-blog-post-and-my-1st-ever.html

Looking forward to seeing you there.