Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

May 7, 2012

Apple, Bacon, and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Croissant {Crazy Cooking Challenge}

It's time for this month's Crazy Cooking Challenge!! And this month it's all about the grilled cheese. Who doesn't like a grilled cheese?

Photobucket
Takes me back to my childhood days when my mama used to slather the bread slices with butter and when I bit into my grilled cheese, butter used to literally ooze from it. Oh, the things my mama fed me  :)

I made my usual list of possibilities, and finally settled on this recipe from Creative Culinary, but wanted to change it up a tad. I used bacon instead of pancetta, and dijon mustard rather than whole grain mustard. And I didn't use that exact kind of sharp cheddar - I used Cabot extra sharp. No major changes.


Apple, Bacon, and Sharp Cheddar Grilled Cheese Croissant
slightly adapted from Creative Culinary
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon dried cranberries, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons butter, divided
  • 1 large croissant, sliced in half lengthwise
  • 2 slices of sharp cheddar
  • 2 slices bacon, cooked
  • One half apple, cored and sliced
For the cranberry spread, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, honey and dried cranberries in a small bowl and set aside.
Cook bacon in a skillet on medium-low until brown and starting to crisp. Drain.
In a separate large skillet on medium-low, melt 1 teaspoon of butter. Place cut edges of sliced croissant face down on butter until slightly toasted; approximately 1 minute. Remove from pan.

Melt another teaspoon of butter in skillet and place bottom of croissant in pan, toasted side facing up. Layer 1 slice of cheese, apple slices, bacon and a 2nd slice of cheese on top of croissant. Spread the inside of the top piece of croissant with the cranberry spread and place it spread side down on layered ingredients. Lower heat and cover the sandwich with a lid until the cheese starts to melt, carefully watching the underside so as not to burn. Carefully flip the sandwich over and repeat. Remove from heat, cut in half and enjoy. Makes one sandwich.

Printable Recipe


 























When I told PJ that I was making this for myself while he was at work, he said it didn't sound good. Honestly, his judgment had me a bit worried. How would I like this on a croissant grilled instead of bread? I've tried bagels before and wasn't too impressed. How would this mustard and cranberry mixture taste on a grilled cheese? Does the grilled cheese even need that? Apples and cranberries? Is this a bit much?

Um, no Desi... are you crazy?!?! It wasn't too much at all. In fact, it was amazing. It was delicious. It was one of the best grilled cheeses I've ever had. 

That croissant. Oh, I just may use you every time for grilled cheese from now on. The buttery, flakyness definitely outdid any plain old white bread for sure. Usually I can't really tell a difference in different kinds of cheddar, but the sharpness really really stood out. It was a perfect cheese for this sandwich. 

I did have problems photographing these, so I do apologize that the pictures aren't all pretty to show you just how delicious this really was. I'm really sorry for that. But I'm not sorry that I made this and am now sharing it with you all. 

You're welcome for that. 

And the little tang from the mustard and cranberry mixture added that extra somethin too. I even liked the apple slices on it! What the? If you are if-y about the apple slices, I'd say try it with them and you just may surprise yourself on how much you like it. But if you don't wanna get all bold and risky, then this grilled cheese croissant is just as amazing without the apples. 

Now I've got to make these for PJ one day when he's home! I love when he thinks he doesn't like something and therefore I get to prove him wrong. That's always fun :)

Oh, and maybe... just maybe, you can scroll down to the blog hop below and click on my recipe - it's #17 - we've got a contest going on and the grilled cheese that gets the most clicks is crowned the Ultimate Grilled Cheese! Please? I'll love you for life.

Peace, and bacon grease!





Linking up here.

23 comments:

Lesa said...

I've never thought to use crossiants in a grilled cheese before. The combination of flavors sound great!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Nice with the croissant! Apple and bacon are fantastic topping!

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

The croissant did it! That must be good.

Gay #50

Unknown said...

A buttery croissant? With the apples, bacon and cheese, over the top!

Unknown said...

Yummy! I almost did an apple cheddar version but it didn't look nearly as good at this one. I think the croissant was the kicker.

cynthia said...

Apples + Cheese = Always good!! This looks like it needs to be my lunch today. :)

Janie said...

Sounds like such a good combo, Desi!! :)

Stumbled, pinned, FB'd, tweeted, and voted for your recipe!

lacyd said...

Mmmm!! Oh my goodness this looks delicious!! I love that you used a croissant! I've never tried apple on a grilled cheese but ya know what I have all of the ingredients to make these so I might just have to try it out! YUM!!
-Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

Jenn said...

Love that this uses a croissant- that's bound to make it delicious. :) Looks amazing! My CCC: http://kitchenjoyblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/garlic-rubbed-grilled-cheese-with-bacon.html

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Desi, this looks amazing! I loved that you used a croissant...so yummy :) And with bacon, apple and cheddar???? Wow.

Winelady Cooks said...

WOW!, delicious all in one sweet, savory & scrumptious croissant.

Please stop by when you have a chance at CC #59.

Teri said...

I think the cranberry spread would be good on lots of things! This sandwich looks delicious~love the croissant!

Lauren said...

Loving the croissant. And the apple. And the bacon. And the cheese! Looks so good!! CCC #33

Cassie A Little Treat said...

This sounds so yummy!

Rachel @ Bakerita said...

This sounds heavenly! Anything on a croissant has to be good, right? I bet it'd be heavenly with brie! Delicious.
-Rachel @ Bakerita.com

Miz Helen said...

Hi Desi,
What a great combination for a Grilled Cheese, it looks delicious!

Rachel said...

This sounds all kinds of delicious! The combination of cranberries and sharp cheddar.... mmmmmmmmmmm (drool)

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Nice job. I sat this Cookimg Challenge out, but your sandwich looks great! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday!

Chris said...

The apples in it do sound a tiny, itsy bitty, little weird but the croissant idea is inspiring.

Unknown said...

This sandwich sounds amazing!

Jennifer said...

Your sandwich looks yummy! I also chose to use a croissant. I love them!

Jen #40

Veronica Miller said...

yum yum yum yum yum!! Seriously, grilled cheese is one of my favorite sandwiches or even meals, and this looks killer!!

Veronica Miller said...

Oh, and I clicked on your sandwich and yours alone! :)