Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

September 13, 2013

Restaurant Review: Gordo's in Norwood

A friend and I decided to stop in Gordo's, a pub and sports bar in Norwood close to Xavier University, for our lunch break between clinicals one Saturday. It was opened by and named after Norwood-native Raymond Gordo, who was a Chef de Cuisine for the Jean-Robert Restaurant Group. 

It's pretty small, with a bar area and counters on the right as you enter, some tall tables lined up along the left side, and some larger tables a little further back once you enter. They do have a back patio area as well, but we didn't go back there. I usually am prepared to be unsatisfied with the food at most bars, so I had the same mentality when we sat down at the table. Don't get my hopes up. It's just gonna be sports bar food. But then I saw who the chef was and that he had worked at a Jean-Robert restaurant and figured the food had to be pretty good!

Our waitress wasn't the friendliest, and we felt a bit rushed to put in our order. Sandwiches, tacos, salads, and appetizers but I was immediately drawn to their gourmet burgers. I was about to find out just how gourmet they were. 

 
   























































My friend ordered their Gordo Burger ($10). It looked so good! I mean, this burger has roasted poblanos, mushrooms, onions, smoked bacon, boursin cheese and mayo. She liked it... well not the bacon. It was a bit flimsy and soggy. Other than that she liked it. I'd definitely try this next time!



























































I ordered the Sunrise Burger ($12), mainly because I saw that it had pork belly. Along with a fried egg, bearnaise, and spring mix. These burgers are fat and plump like a true homemade patty should be. I could tell these weren't frozen, pre-made patties. I really liked the flavor of my burger with the egg and it was cooked nicely, but I wasn't a fan of the pork belly. I was expecting crispy, kinda like bacon, but it was flimsy and fatty. I took that part off! And it could have used more sauce. But I did love the burger itself. One of my fave burgers so far.




Burgers come with a side of steak fries and a pickle.

Next time, and there will be a next time, I want to try their Surf and Turf Burger, Mexican Burger, Jean-Robert Burger, and their PBJ Burger also sounds quite interesting. I'll have to muster up enough courage to order that one day. 

Only downside was that we had to wait quite a bit for our burgers, and we were on our lunch break between classes, and ended up being 15 minutes late back to class. And it wasn't really that busy. Not sure if that's a regular thing, but maybe just don't expect to get in and out.

So the quest for Cincinnati's best burger continues. Gordo's, for me, is near the top of that list.

Update: I've been back since, and I tried their Gordo Burger. Didn't like the boursin with the burger. And my burger was so burnt, I couldn't eat it :(



Peace, and bacon grease!









Gordo's Pub & Grill on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Chris said...

Definitely those are handmade burgers and big ones at that! For most bars I expect the flat, even 1/2 lb frozen patty.