Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

September 23, 2013

Muffin-Pan Potato Gratins


























































It's Secret Recipe Club time again. One of my fave times of each month!

























































This month I was assigned to the blog, A Couple in the Kitchen. So many good recipes like their award-winning Sweet Chili and Coconut Corn Soup, which I was so tempted to make, and their Cider Sage Gravy would be perfect for the quickly-approaching fall season. But ultimately though I chose these rich and tasty potatoes. Because if you hadn't guessed by my name, I'm a potato freak! Plus I love the idea of using muffin pans for these individual gratins.

This recipe calls for gruyere cheese, which can be a bit pricey. You can substitute comte or beaufort - A French cheese.... or a more easily-accessible Swiss cheese. I loved the gruyere cheese in this potato dish. I made the mistake of only using one jumbo sized russet potato. Go ahead and use two large russet potatoes if you can... I would have liked more potatoes in my stacks. If you have a mandolin slicer (I've seen it spelled mandolin and mandoline, not sure what's correct), then use that to thinly slice the potatoes. I just used a knife but of course there were some inconsistencies in thickness. But we still loved and devoured these cheesy, creamy, crispy stacks.




Muffin-Pan Potato Gratins
from A Couple in the Kitchen
  • 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons white pepper
  • 6 ounces grated gruyere cheese
  • 1 and 3/4 cups heavy cream
  • 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the cups of a 12-muffin pan. 

Layer each cup with potato slice, topped with salt and white pepper, and gruyere cheese. Continue to layer like this until each muffin cup is full. Add two tablespoons of heavy cream to each muffin cup. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. 

Remove the foil and top each stack with the parmesan cheese, dividing evenly. Return to oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pan.

Printable Recipe



























































I'll make these again and again. They're not a lot of work, but seem so fancy. Rich, filling, indulgent... exactly what food should be. These mini gratins will make a perfect side to any meal. But maybe keep the main course light  :)

Check out my past Secret Recipe Club posts




Peace, and bacon grease!



15 comments:

Toni said...

Look how stinking cute those are! I could eat a whole pan full. What a great recipe.

Karen S Booth said...

Hi! I am new to group C and am enjoying doing the rounds this morning!LOVE the name of your blog too btw! These look fabulous and I sometimes make a similar recipe for Gratin Dauphinoise too! Karen

Amy said...

Glad you liked them. They are definitely one of our favorites - so indulgent!

Rhonda said...

Adorable, mini gratins. I did a zucchini type one for my post this month...we must have been on the same wave length. But then again, I'm always up for baked cheese goodness.

Erin said...

They look wonderful. I'm a potato freak too so these are right up my alley. Thanks!!!

Heather said...

Oh my, these look amazing.. Can I say this would be fantastic for breakfast/Brunch or really anytime of day?! I love the crispy cheese like and the potato combination.

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

These look delicious and love that it's not a lot of complicated ingredients - would be great for entertaining too!

Unknown said...

This fits the theme of your blog effortlessly. Not to mention these look fabulous!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

What cute little gratins! Love bite sized delights. Glad to be part of group C in the SRC with you.

Anonymous said...

Great idea of how to use a muffin pan. This way you get more crispy parts- the best part of a gratin (besides all that cheese).

TeaLady said...

Haven't made these in ages. And they look deliciously crispy!!

Simplyfood said...

Love potatoes and these look like a great side dish.

Http://whatmeeganmakes.com said...

These look so delish! Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two!

Unknown said...

These look like they would great along side a Steak or in a breakfast dish, love 'em!

Anu Shukla said...

Great!

We Love your skills.
Keep sharing good stuff like this.

Write for us