Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

November 8, 2011

Easy Peanut Butter Cups {Martha Mondays} + {Week 7 of The 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies and Sweets!}

This week was my pick for Martha Mondays, and sadly it will be my last time participating. Life is about to get way crazy and I don't want to overwhelm myself with commitments. It's been fun though, and I thank Brette for hosting all this time!

I decided to go with Martha's Easy Peanut Butter Cups. I know you're probably thinking, "haven't you had enough candy lately?" cuz Halloween just passed and all... and the answer is no, obviously! To be fair, I didn't purchase any reeces peanut butter cups to pass out for Halloween, so I think it's perfectly fine that I make some to have as a little post-Halloween treat. 

























These were so easy to make, seriously. Like, no skillets or pots or pans used, and no real cooking involved. Nope. Just the microwave, some bowls, and some refrigerating. I love that I could just melt the peanut butter and white chocolate mixture, as well as the chocolate chips, in microwavable bowls and not dirty up a large pot. 

We halved the recipe, using only one mini muffin pan and therefore only yielding 12 peanut butter cups. I took the advice of some reviewers that said to use 16 oz of chocolate instead of 12, and since we halved everything we used 8 oz Ghiradelli milk chocolate baking chips. Had some of those bad boys left over from my candy cookies from last week. Maybe I shouldn't have used "baking chips" since technically no baking was involved, but they turned out great to me! If you want, you can just use regular milk chocolate chips. And for the white chocolate, we used Bakers squares which come wrapped as 1-oz pieces... we needed 2 oz so we just used 2 squares.

Also at the advice of reviewers, we poured in the milk chocolate (bottom layer) into the paper liners, then the peanut butter mixture, and then froze it for a bit to let it harden... so that the peanut butter layer would be solid before pouring on the top chocolate layer. While it did look great and held together fine for presentation sake, when I bit into it, it seemed like the top chocolate layer separated from the bottom chocolate and peanut butter layer, which had hardened together. So next time I think I would try it how the original recipe says... to add everything to the liners at one time, and then let it harden in the freezer/fridge after.


























Easy Peanut Butter Cups
adapted from Martha Stewart

Line a 12-cup mini muffin pan with paper liners; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine white chocolate and peanut butter. Microwave, until almost melted, about 1 minute or so, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool slightly. 

Meanwhile, place milk chocolate chips in another microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, stirring once or twice, about 2 or 3 minutes until almost melted.

Dividing evenly, use a spoon to layer milk chocolate and peanut butter mixture into liners, beginning and ending with milk chocolate; sprinkle with peanuts. Place muffin pans in freezer until peanut butter cups are firm, about 15 minutes. Bring to room temperature before serving. 

























I also want to share these goodies for Week 7 of The 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies and Sweets over at Meal Planning Magic. They would make such perfect gifts for the holidays. I'd love for someone to make these for me.














See how easy it is to make your own homemade candy?! I hadn't a clue.

Recently, I've been on a sweet treats roll. I've never baked so many desserts and goodies in my life!!!!

And I'm completely loving it.

Oh, and thanks for the memories, Martha. I'm sure we'll meet again.


Be sure to check out the other delicious treats in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies and Sweets blop hop below.





Peace, and bacon grease!
 




Linking up here.

27 comments:

Baker Street said...

easy and scrumptious! :)

TinaRBK said...

That last picture has me hooked, but the fact that these are easy helps. I would need to make a lot-they are some addictive little gems!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

These look great, I make a 2 layer chocolate pb cup (white chocolate and milk chocolate) and I always stick the first layer in the fridge for about 5 minutes before topping with the second layer - Ive never had problems that way.

Unknown said...

Ummm.....yes please!! Wow, and it sounds like my kind of recipe. Easy!! Thanks for sharing!

I found you through permanent posies.

Marysol said...

Nothing gets my attention faster than those three little words:
Peanut Butter Cups!

I could turn these into breakfast food, and there'd be no one here to stop me :)

laxsupermom said...

Yum! Peanut Butter Cups are my favorite. I may have stolen all of my sons' from their halloween totes. These look terrific! Thanks for sharing.

Jackie D said...

Hello, stopping by from Tasty Tuesday! These look AMAZING...easy + full of sugar = best thing to make, always.

Easy To Be Gluten Free said...

I love easy recipes like this! Sharing this on Pinterest.

Jocelyn said...

What??? You didn't buy any reeses this year? Then you were totally justified in making these:-) PB cups are my all time favorite jean buster treat!!! Thanks for sharing the easy recipe with us! Don't get too busy!!!!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl said...

Oh my goodness, these look AMAZING! Peanut butter cups are one of my favorite treats (okay, let's get real, I go for anything chocolate!). I'm going to try making these for a holiday goodie this year! Thanks for sharing!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Your photos are beautiful! And of course, anything that has peanut butter and chocolate is awesome. :)

Alida Sharp said...

oooh sounds very tempting! I may have to get brave and give these a try...I have never made candy.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

If you could send a box of these my way, I would really appreciate it!

SlipperCityCakes said...

Oh these are my favorite type of candy! I love chocolate and peanut butter and I definitely want to try and make these for the holidays!! Yum!!
-Elyse @The Cultural Dish

Our Italian Kitchen said...

That looks a perfect holiday treat! I will have to give it a try!

The Three Little Piglets said...

They'd make a perfect Christmas gift as well!

Anonymous said...

yum it is always a good time for peanut butter cups. I love the addition of the topping... very cute :)

Anonymous said...

Oh man! Dangerous!!! Look soo good!

Unknown said...

Peanut butter cups that are easy to make....?? SOLD!!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These certainly sound delicious. I'm new to your blog and have taken some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

So yummy!! Thanks for linking up to 2 Maids a Baking!!

Rachel said...

I'm going to have to make these for my hubby's birthday! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

kyleen said...

Mhmm those chocolate peanut butter cups look delicious! I love PB and chocolate.

Chris said...

if I make these I am not telling anyone in the house because I am going to eat them all myself!

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Looks like a fun treat to share at Christmas time. Easy too! I am just now getting around to the Tuesday's Tasty Tidbit entries. Here it is almost time to have another one.

Beth @ Beth Michelle said...

Drooling....these look so so good. Peanut butter cups are my absolute favorite!

Unknown said...

I love peanut butter cups, yummy!