Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

November 1, 2011

Happy Belated Halloween... and Owl-O-Ween Cookies!

Happy belated Halloween to you all! Did you dress up in costume or go to any parties? We had our annual Halloween party at work... I dressed up as a Quarter Back and wore my Vick jersey (that's my last name too btw), and blew up a photo of a quarter and pasted it to my back... get it? Quarter back? I thought it was pretty clever, though I didn't win. That's ok, I won 2 years ago  :)



















I really wanted to post these cookies the day before Halloween, or on Halloween, but it just didn't happen. I was mucho busy! So here they are, a day late. But make them next year, k?  And really you could still make them now, minus the Halloween vibe, by switching out the candy corn for a different candy that will work as a nose, and regular oreos as eyes instead of the orange ones. Then you've got yourself some good old, regular owl cookies. Either way, they're adorable.

And equally delicious. I thought these cookies would be all about the cuteness, and less about the taste. But I was wrong, because they tasted like sugary heaven. But please be warned, these cookies are capable of inducing sugar comas. 

I didn't want to have to buy almond joy drops, so I worked with what I already had in the pantry. Yay for pre-stocked Halloween candy. So for the eyes, I used brown reeses pieces on some of the cookies, and milk duds on others. I preferred the reeses pieces because the milk duds were pretty large, and weren't as round as I wanted. I also used store-bought peanut butter cookies instead of sugar cookies, because both were right there in front of my face and I just can't pass up a peanut butter cookie. Ever.

Oh, and I just had to copy borrow the creative idea to perch my owls on tree limbs, like Stephanie did. Hey, when I see a fantastic idea, I must roll with it. Her tree shot looks much better than mine, but that's ok. This isn't a contest :)



















Owl-O-Ween Cookies
adapted from Cookin' Cowgirl
  • Store-bought peanut butter cookies
  • Chocolate whipped frosting
  • Halloween oreo cookies
  • Reeses pieces (brown ones)
  • Candy corn
Frost the flat side of the cookie with frosting. Twist oreos apart and place the back side down, cream side up for the large part of the eyes. For the small part of the eyes, put a dab of frosting on the back of a brown reeses pieces, and place in desired spot. Cut the remaining oreo in half and use for eyebrows. Last, put a candy corn where you want the nose. 




















These are so fun to make! Definitely kid-friendly. Not only are they adorable and delicious, but they are also so easy! No cooking required, unless you prefer to make your own homemade sugar cookie or peanut butter cookie base. Not I... I chose to make this recipe because it required no cooking! Plus it was just too dang cute to pass up, and I just love owls.

And this isn't even what I brought to our Halloween lunch party. I'll have to share that recipe with you soon and very soon....

Hope you all had a very scary Owl-O-Ween :)

Peace, and bacon grease!




*Note: The oreos are small enough to fit on a standard-sized store-bought sugar or peanut butter cookie. No need to search around for gigantic base cookies. I was worried about the oreos fitting on my cookies, but they fit fine.

Linking up here.

18 comments:

Chris said...

Those are so darned cute, Desi, nice job.

laxsupermom said...

Adorable! I was Little Red Riding Hood this year. I got to wear my costume to the adult party we through on Saturday as well as the kid party I hosted on Sunday. We didn't hand out costume prizes at the adult party, but if we did it would have gone to my BFF who came as Captain Jack Sparrow complete with hand waving swishy walk.

The owls would be the perfect treat for a class party. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

oooh... i bet they were fun! I will be making my first royal icing soon... any tips for me?

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Great idea and they look awesome! Could be used for a kids nature feild trip?
Take care...

Rachel said...

Those are so cute and the photographs are awesome. Thanks so much for sharing.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

These are SO cute, Desi! This is the only kind of cool cookie decorating I can reproduce :)

Anonymous said...

Please tell me you made those! I love owls they are my favourite bird/animal and so I'm naturally attracted to everything owl.

Anonymous said...

Please tell me you made those! I love owls they are my favourite bird/animal and so I'm naturally attracted to everything owl.

Anonymous said...

Owls are my favorite. These are the cutest things ever.

Vicki Bensinger said...

These are too cute! Very creative.

DutchBakerGirl said...

How cute are these?! I just saw a similar owl on a cupcake--I love it! I'm going to bookmark this for next Halloween. Cute blog! :)

Michelle B said...

These are so cute! And I think you're right--with different candies, these could be made any time of year.

Thanks for linking w/ See Ya In the Gumbo--happy to have this fun treat as part of the potluck!

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Those are adorable!!! Love it!

come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

Janie said...

Ahhh those are adorable!!!

Thanks for linking up on my blog :)

Desi said...

@ mindrunningwild - Yes I made them :) I love owls too... I collect owl jewelry!

@ bakingjenn - Glad you share my love of owls!

@ MM - Definitely can be made any time with a little switch of the candy corn :) Thanks for hosting!

Amy Anderson said...

A cookie on a cookie? Works for me!

Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

Miz Helen said...

Desi,
Your cookies are so adorable and very tasty looking. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
Miz Helen

Cookin' Cowgirl said...

Hey! Love it! They are adorable, good job! Don't you wish everyday was Halloween so we would have an excuse to eat yummy cookies like these? Mmmmm, cookies! :)