Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

April 20, 2013

Bacon Spinach Cheese Ball

BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok just had to get that out.

































Today I'm participating in the Surprise Recipe Swap, and I was assigned to Heather's blog, Sugar Dish Me

I really had a hard time choosing a recipe. I narrowed it down to like 10 recipes and seriously wanted to make them all! So I decided to go with a recipe that I already had one of the ingredients for.... bacon.




I love the idea of her adorable Bite-Size Bacon Spinach Cheese Balls for little appetizers to serve at a party. So cute! I decided to just make one big cheese ball though out of laziness. And I was a little hesitant about the nuts so I left those out. A part of me was wondering how pine nuts would taste instead of pecans or walnuts, but I didn't do it. Bacon, spinach, cheese, and onions were stellar enough components.



































Bacon Spinach Cheese Ball
slightly adapted from Sugar Dish Me
  • 6 slices bacon
  • 6 ounces fresh spinach
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • 1 (8 ounce) block of cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper     
In a large skillet cook the bacon until crisp. Set aside to cool and drain on paper towels. Chop when cool.

Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet. Add the spinach and cook over medium heat until wilted and cooked through. Sprinkle the spinach with salt and set aside on a cutting board to cool. Chop finely when cooled.

Add the onion to the skillet and cook until it's translucent and a tiny bit golden at the edges. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Place the cream cheese in a large bowl. Add cheese, onions, garlic, half of the chopped bacon, chopped spinach, and cayenne pepper and stir well.

Roll the cream cheese mixture into a large ball and then roll in the remaining chopped bacon. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Printable Recipe




































This was so good, we ate half of it in one sitting. Maybe next time I'll be brave and try it with some nuts!

Click on the logo below to join yourself!  

HungryLittleGirl


 






Linking up here.  



Peace, and bacon grease!





23 comments:

Xlovehappyx said...

omg YESSSS! this looks like one of the best party treats i've ever seen.

so many great ingredients especially the bacon haha

i am about to share this on my fb page

Veronica Miller said...

I think I just had a full body orgasm.

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

This is such a dangerous appetizer-I could literally eat the whole thing!!!! Seriously bacon and cheese go together like peas and carrots! So good Desi!

Michelle B said...

Oh Lordy. My eyes are popping out of my head over this. I agree-full body orgasm. Thank you for sharing this awesomeness!

Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate said...

Love your opening to this post! teehee :*) This looks AMAZING!!! Pinned ;) Thanks for sharing the scrumptiousness :) Have a fabulous day!!

Anonymous said...

wow oh wow! bacon.... 'nuff said!

Thanks again for stopping by Much Ado About Monday!

Karla
www.huckleberrylove.com

Lorraine @ Cooking for Prince Charming said...

Ahhh! I'm in love! Haha! I don't even know where to start...first, this recipe looks amazing, and I'm definitely pinning to make it! Second, I love the name of your blog! :) aaaand third, I'm featuring this on my Sweet & Savoury Sundays link party this week! Thanks for linking up! I'm a new follower here :)

Emily Thompson said...

yep, that looks awesome!!! Thanks for taking the time to link up to Tasteful Tuesdays @Nap-TimeCreations.com. I do feature round ups on Saturdays and Tuesdays now, so make sure you are following the blog in some way so you know if YOU are featured...GFC, facebook or bloglovin are my recommendations :o)

ps... another one of your links will be featured tomorrow on my blog... come check it out :o)

Unknown said...

What an excellent way to use bacon without feeling guilty! With the healthy spinach -what's a litle bacon! Going to use this at my next Hort. meeting.Thanks

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

This recipe looks so good...Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Unknown said...

Definitely pinning this to try at my next party. This looks awesome! - Kelly @ Semi Homemade Mom

Chris said...

I'm glad that you left the nuts out, I would do the same, since I'm allergic to pecans and walnuts.

Unknown said...


Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured this evening!
I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, and join me tomorrow evening for Make the Scene Monday #72!

Natashalh said...

This looks totally awesome! Pinning!

Natashalh

Judy@SavoringToday said...

Oh yes, we would definitely be loving this at our next gathering, it would be great with crackers or veggies! Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

Unknown said...

Ok, this looks absolutely yummy!!

Thanks so much for linking up at our weekly link party! I am featuring you on my blog tomorrow! And I am pinning it too!

Ashley
www.simplydesigning.net

Diane Balch said...

I remember my mom making something like this for parties. So cool retro appetizer. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

That looks freakin amazing! I would eat the whole thing! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #9!

~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com

Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate said...

Good morning, Desi! Stopping by to let you know that I featured your scrumptious recipe in a blog post today as one of my favorite pins of the week!
http://www.chattingoverchocolate.com/2013/05/excitement-and-pins-galore.html
...Have a terrific day! :)

Anonymous said...

QUESTION!? I know this sounds silly but I am being totally serious. How big is the ball once rolled? (trying to figure out what platter to get) Also, how many do you think it serves?

Desi said...

@ Catia Behler - No silly questions at all!! That plate above is a standard dinner plate, so it's not a huge cheese ball. It's hard to say how many it could serve, considering me and my bf ate half of it in one sitting! Granted, we were goin to town on it! I'd say maybe a small dinner party, depending if you have other stuff for them to eat as well. If you need it for a lot of people, maybe make two! :) Hope you like it!

yanmaneee said...

a bathing ape
kd shoes
michael jordan shoes
hermes
a bathing ape
hermes birkin
yeezy 500
yeezy
kyrie 7
steph curry shoes

sawhaez said...

d0s25j7w70 u3o24g2g11 l2a41t0b02 q2c81s1r90 e5x72b6v26 v5n50s0u07