Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

January 11, 2011

Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli

Peej and I weren't blown away by this recipe, so I'll keep it short. The idea of it intrigues me... ground chicken patties with a spicy cajun seasoning, served with a horseradish dipping sauce?! To me, it sounds like nothing could go wrong. But it just wasn't.... grand. The meat reminded me of that ground turkey burger I had made before and didn't like too much. I seem to be making some amazing self discoveries lately, and this one being that I must not like ground turkey or ground chicken. How can this be? I like turkey. I like chicken. Why would it being grounded make it taste less appetizing to me? I have no idea! I'm sure there have got to be some ground turkey or ground chicken recipes out there that we like! But what? I mean, a turkey burger with buffalo sauce.... sounds amazing right?! To me, too! But it just wasn't tasty. And ground chicken with horseradish sauce sounds equally as tasty. But it wasn't. What is wrong with us?!


 Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli
adapted from myrecipes

*serving size = 2 chicken cakes
*Yields 4 servings 

Cakes:
  • 2 slices white bread
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (or ground chicken)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 3 tablespoons mayo
  • 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil
Aioli :
  • 2 tablespoons mayo
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
To prepare cakes, place bread in a food processor and pulse 10 times or so until crumbs measure 1 cup (discard remaining breadcrumbs). Set breadcrumbs aside. 
Place chicken in the food processor and pulse until ground. Or you can use already-ground chicken. Combine chicken, chives, 3 tablespoons mayo, cajun, 1/4 teaspoon salt, egg whites, and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Mix well. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2 inch thick patty.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook 7 minutes 
on each side or until done. 

To prepare aioli, combine all of the aioli ingredients in a small bowl and serve with cakes.














Anyone have some tasty ground chicken or ground turkey recipes that you enjoy? I need to try my hand at a few successful ones so that I am not forever traumatized by ground chicken and turkey!

32 comments:

Rachel said...

The horseradish aioli sounds delicious!
Ground Chicken and Ground Turkey hold absolutely no appeal to me, either.
:-)

Thomas said...

I think I agree. Ground chicken or Turkey just really doesn't do anything for me either.

Faith said...

it looks yummy, hehe.

i love ground chicken/turkey.

Unknown said...

It's too bad they weren't more ...well...more amazing :) They sure sound like they would be good!

Anonymous said...

Excellent chicken recipe thanks for sharing. I really enjoy reading your blog very much.

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Too bad it wasn't what you were expecting - the recipe sounds like it would be really flavorful! Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesdays!
Alissa

a moderate life said...

Hi Desi! I wanted to welcome you personally to the hearth and soul hop! I am now following your blog. I really do love horseradish so this aioli would be something I would enjoy. I think I am with you on the chicken cakes. I dont really like anything "cakes" like crab or shrimp, but I understand the concept of spreading the meat. Thanks again for linking to the hearth and soul hop and I hope to see you again next week for all the fun! All the best. Alex@amoderatelife

Desi said...

Ha glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like ground chicken! Thanks for making me feel normal, guys!

@ Rachel - The horseradish aioli WAS delish, so do give that a try, just with something else maybe lol :)

@ Faith - Aww any good ground chicken/turkey recipe suggestions that you think may change my mind? I DO want to change my mind!

@ Jenn & Alissa - I know right! They did sound like they would be delish, that's why I was drawn to make them. But if you like ground chicken, you may like them!

@ Online recipe box - You are too sweet! It's always nice to hear from readers who enjoy what I write about! Thanks for reading :)

@ A Moderate Life - Thanks for following me! I hope to be back next week for the linky party :)

Tree said...

It does look and sound yummy.. sorry it didn't taste the same though. LOL I was thinking maybe adding more spice than it calls for... maybe some black pepper, garlic powder, chopped onion, etc. I have to season my meat well for it to taste good to me.

Thanks for linking up for Tasty Tuesday and following! I'm returning the "follow" luv!

Desiree said...

Happy New Year to you too! (I never know if I should reply on my blog or come to yours and comment...) Thanks for being on of my most loyal readers! Guess I better start posting more often, huh? :)

Desiree said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April J Harris said...

Actually, this sounds like it might be nice with ground pork. I haven't cooked with ground turkey or chicken before to be honest. It's good that you are posting all your food experiences good and bad - everyone has things that turn out not so great from time to time!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Desi,
I am so happy that you brought your wonderful Spicy Chicken Cakes With Horseradish Aioli to Full Plate Thursday. I have some on my plate and can't wait to taste it. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

Lisa said...

I can totally relate having made many cooking failures myself that my family just didn't care for. But, the good thing is that you at least tried a new recipe and found out for yourself whether it was good or not. If you want an idea as to what to do with ground turkey patties, my family likes to cook the patties in cream of chicken soup with a little water added to thin it out. It's excellent.

Desi said...

@ Tree - Thanks for following back! More spices would probably make it taste a whole lot better. Your family is so adorable!

@ Desiree - I have that same problem of not knowing if I should reply on my post, or on that person's blog! Don't stop blogging!

@ 21st Century Housewife - I don't think I have tried ground pork yet. Maybe I would like that much better.

@ Miz Helen - Thanks for hosting, and stopping by! I hope to be back next week and many weeks to come :)

@ Lisa - Hey thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I will try that out, when I get enough courage to buy some more ground turkey lol :)

Thanks for stopping by, everyone! Hope you come back soon!!!

laurie said...

I think the recipe sounded good too, too bad you didn't enjoy it!

Unknown said...

It does sound very tasty in theory. Maybe the ratio of filler-to-meat is off? It looked like an awful lot of bread.

Either way, chicken burgers with the aoli sounds amazing to me. I think I'd even add it to mashed potatoes.

julie said...

I know what you mean. I think you just expect it to be like ground beef and it just isn't no matter how you spin it. I do have one turkey burger that I make and love though. If you like blue cheese, then try it out and let me know what you think!

http://mommiecooks.com/2010/09/06/turkey-burger-recipe/

thanks so much for linking up and have a great weekend!

Amy said...

What a nice dish for dinner!

I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

Clarissa said...

Looks like delish!Thanks for sharing the recipe^_^

Happy FTF!

Unknown said...

WOW! I've never seen these before! They look delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

hmm....this does look like it would be really flavorful...i wonder why it doesn't taste as good as it sounds. maybe you have to pump up the spices a bit. thank you for sharing this with tuesday night supper club!

Leah Beyer said...

I pretty much am obsessed with aioli. These look so amazing. Have never thought about making a chicken cake. Makes total sense though! Thanks for linking up too.

HaleyLeann said...

Even if you weren't crazy about it, it sounds delish! ;-) Thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try!

Desi said...

Thanks for the recipe, Julie! When I muster up enough courage to try another turkey burger, I will sure give this a try :)

Chiara said...

I actually love turkey burgers! With lots of cheese, avocado, sauce and seasoning, they are yummy! Perhaps that is because the turkey taste disappears--lol!
Here is a DELICIOUS recipe with ground turkey: Healthy Albondiga Soup. I guarantee you will add this into the rotation--delicious!
http://calicoandcupcakes.blogspot.com/2011/02/healthy-albondiga-soup.html

Desi said...

Ha yes avocado and cheese and sauce would definitely make it taste better! Thanks for your ground turkey suggestion... I'll give it a try!

Unknown said...

These sound so good.
I would like to invite you to join in on my WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY I host on my blog.
"Made it on Monday"
*Link ups are open every WED.-SAT.*

http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/

I hope to see you & your recipes soon.

Unknown said...

best replica bags online FMOZ high quality replica handbags DNRBV high quality replica handbags EKRZ

Unknown said...

this contentwhy not try these out newslook these up check my blogcheck over here

Unknown said...

blog ici réplique dolabuy article https://www.dolabuy.su essayez ce site Web Gucci Dolabuy

Unknown said...

here look at more info click for more info find out here now Get the facts their explanation