Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

January 17, 2011

Martha Mondays - Real Deal Chili

I am always on the search for a good chili recipe. Martha has several that I wanted to try, and this was one of them - her Real-Deal Chili. And I wasn't disappointed. I loved the flavors in this chili. The different seasonings really came through.
 


Real-Deal Chili
adapted from Martha Stewart 
  • 2 slices thick-cut center cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 1/2 of a red onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1.25 pounds ground beef chuck
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoons fine cornmeal, or masa harina
  • 3/4 tablespoons cider, or other vinegar
  • 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno
  • Chopped scallion, grated cheddar cheese, lime wedges, and sour cream for topping

In a large pot, cook bacon over medium heat until just beginning to brown. Add onion and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Drain off excess bacon grease. Add paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt, pepper, and ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat, until the beef is cooked through. 

Stir in water, cornmeal, and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Add in beans and jalapenos. Cook until liquid thickens, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with desired toppings.

























I do have a couple of suggestions: add some beans! Whatever kind of beans you like. Pinto beans. Kidney beans. Chili beans. Whatever your little heart desires. A chili doesn't seem complete, in my opinion, without some kind of beans in it. Otherwise, it just seemed like seasoned ground beef. Don't get me wrong, deliciously flavored ground beef. 

So the second time I made it, I had to give it a little tweak and added a 16 oz. can of pinto beans : )

We served our chili with some garlic bread on the side. 

I am participating in Martha Mondays. Go check out if everyone else thought Martha's chili was the real deal?

I am also linking up to:
Tasty Tuesdays
Hearth 'N Soul
Tuesdays at the Table
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday
Delectable Tuesday 
What's Cooking Wednesday 
Recipes I Can't Wait to Try
Show Off Your Stuff
What's Cooking Wednesday
Recipe Swap Thursday
Tasty Traditions
Full Plate Thursday
Cooking Thursday
Seasonal Sunday




22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the cornmeal was interesting - I've never added that to chili before!

Sommer said...

Looks fabulous!!! My so n is starting to like ground meat more and this is the perfect season or warm your bones chili!

Faith said...

this looks yummy! glad that you tried something that you liked this time around! :)

Cassie said...

LOVE the additions of bacon and vinegar to this chili -- I bet it makes it taste so smoky and tangy! YUM.

Heather S-G said...

Yum, sounds delicious! I love adding a bit of masa harina to chilis to thicken them up. Thanks for sharing this wonderful dish w/ the hearth and soul hop this week :D

Amy said...

That looks delicious@ :)

I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

Brad Fallon said...

Thanks for the recipe, I have something to add in my recipe list. Keep it up! =)
Brad Fallon

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

Thanks for linking up to Mostly Made By You! This looks awesome - I am a huge chili fan and Iwill definitely need ot try this.

Brittany said...

This looks incredibly good! Serious comfort food!!
Wanted also to invite you to participate in a weekly linky event I host each sunday titled Seasonal Sundays! This and many other recipes you have fit the theme :)
xo, Brittany http://realsustenance.com/

Tree said...

This looks awesome! I love chili.. especially with all the fixins! Thanks for linking up for TT!

Lisa said...

This looks like a good hearty chili that'll warm you up at dinnertime.

The Wise Alternative 918-836-0565 said...

Perfect comfort food to warm you up. Love the flavor combinations you've got going....

Thanks for sharing with the hearth and soul hop this week.

HaleyLeann said...

Perfect for this weather! I've never had chili with with bacon before. Sounds delish!

HaleyLeann said...

Silly me. I forgot to add, thanks for linking up on Recipes I Can't Wait to Try! ;-)

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Stopping by from Hearth n Soul, this looks great. I don't usually make chili, but this one I want to try. Thanks.

Hunger and Thirst said...

Well, you just can't go wrong when you turn to Martha, can you? I really love that her recipe uses masa as a thickener. Looks so tasty. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop. I'm your newest follower!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Vickdn,
Your Chili looks very good and if its from Martha "its a good thing". It will be great on a cold day like this. Thank you so much for coming to Full Plate Thursday today and please come back!

Sandra said...

Oooh I love chili

Martha said...

Delicious! Thanks for linking it up for Tailgating Time - hope we'll see you again tomorrow :-)

Unknown said...

i too am always on the search for a great chili...and how can i ignore something called 'the real deal'? this looks fabulous...thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

Desi said...

Thanks, Brittany! I love finding new linky parties that I can participate in :)

And thanks everyone else for stopping by! I really appreciate all of your comments :)

Unknown said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing and welcome to Tasty Traditions. I hope to see you again! Have a great day!