Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

October 3, 2010

Mark Bittman's Scallops with Basil Stuffing

I'm not gonna lie. Before this challenge, I didn't know who Mark Bittman was. And since I started following the IHCC pretty late into the Mark Bittman challenges, I wouldn't say that I know much about him now. I do know that it was kind of hard for me to pick recipes of his that I wanted to create. I don't have any of his cookbooks, so I had to rely on online sources. And unfortunately I was never blown away by any of his recipe options. But I do love scallops, and anything that involves scallops. So I was happy to find this recipe - Grilled Scallops with Basil Stuffing. I didn't end up grilling my scallops, which may have been even better since I love the taste of grilled food. But I was pleased with this dish. I would make it again, but most definitely with fresh basil instead, and probably on the grill.  Just to see how Mark Bittman truly intended it. I would probably try it with some sort of sauce next time as well, but this is a good base for a simple scallop recipe.

Scallops with Basil Stuffing adapted from Mark Bittman
  • 1/4 cup freeze-dried basil leaves
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • about 1 lb or less of large sea scallops
Mince the basil, garlic, salt and pepper together until very fine. (You can do this in a food processor, but I didn't). Mix in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil.














Make a horizontal slit in the side of each scallop, but don't cut all the way through. Fill each scallop with a small portion of the basil mixture. Close the scallops. Pour the remaining oil onto a plate and turn the scallops in it. Let sit while you preheat a skillet (or grill).













Place the scallops on the skillet (or grill) and cook about 3 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.














I am linking this recipe to I Heart Cooking Clubs - it is the final week for Mark Bittman recipes. Join in next time for Giada recipes!


I am also linking up to Seasonal Sunday :)

2 comments:

Kim said...

Scallops stuffed with a basil filling sound amazing! So glad to have you join us at IHCC. I hope we'll see you around for Giada.

Deb in Hawaii said...

This sounds delicious--I agree with you, I like my scallops grilled. Like Kim, I too hope you cook Giada with us. ;-)