Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

March 24, 2014

Caramel Pecan Bars


Today's my birthday! Happy birthday to me  :)

This is my last year in my 20s so I better make it a good year. I can't believe it really. Time just seemed to start floating by after 21. I still feel 21 at least! Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol.



Anyway, it's time for another month of The Secret Recipe Club!

This month I was assigned to Denise's blog, Eat Laugh Love. Yay, a new-to-me blog. She loves foodie mags and cookbooks like I do, and she has a culinary to-do list like me. She knows her food too. So many good recipes, like her Boozy Banana Bread and her fancy appetizers
Cheddar Crisps with Roasted Grape Relish and Cranberry Pesto Bleu Cheese Crostini.  

What do you know? I chose a recipe involving caramel... shocker! You don't have to make your own caramel with this recipe... just use store-bought caramel topping! These caramel pecan bars aren't overly sweet, but they're rich, so cut into small bars like Denise advises. We cut ours into about 2 dozen small bars, I think Denise cut hers into 4 dozen small bars. Basically, you don't need a lot of these rich, gooey bars to hit that sweet spot. I did have some difficulty spreading the chocolate on after. While the chips did get softer and slightly melted, it was hard to spread it on as parts weren't soft enough. I still made it work though! I like the shortbread-like base, the crunch from the pecans, and of course the perfect combination of chocolate and caramel.

See for yourself. Make em!


Caramel Pecan Bars
from Eat Laugh Love
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup cold butter
  • 1 and 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
  • 1 jar (12 oz) caramel ice cream topping, warmed - I used Smucker's brand
  • 1 bag (11.5 oz) milk chocolate chips
In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in x 2-in. baking dish. Top with pecans. Drizzle caramel topping evenly over pecans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until caramel is bubbly. Place on a wire rack. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes or until chocolate has melted slightly and is spreadable. Spread melted chocolate over caramel layer. Cool at room temperature for at least 6 hours or until chocolate is set. Want them to set faster? Place them in the fridge or freezer to harden and set faster. Cut into 2 dozen bars.

Printable Recipe

 



















































By the way, I'm still currently taking birthday gifts so feel free to send some my way. I accept gifts in food-form too  :)
 

Check out my past Secret Recipe Club posts!


Linking up here.

*Photos taken on my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.


Peace, and bacon grease!




7 comments:

Amy said...

Happy Birthday! Those bars should look like a good present to us!

Gloria Baker said...

Happy Birthday to you! these bars look awesome!!!

Melissa said...

Happy birthday Desi! These bars look like a great birthday treat :)

Erin said...

Oh my heck! I would like 3 of these brownies for breakfast please =o) They look wonderful! Happy birthday!

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday! these look wonderful and oh so rich.

Unknown said...

These look amazing! I could go for some gooey caramel right about now!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed these. Your photos are lovely!