Image Map
Would you be so kind as to "like" my facebook page?

Please excuse the lack of photos in some of my older posts as I am trying to slowly go back through and add the photos that were accidentally deleted

August 13, 2013

Restaurant Review: Sushi Thai Restaurant and Bar

Hey there!

Those of you that are here for the recipes.... they'll return, promise.

But now's time for the restaurant reviews. It's time, people. I haven't posted a restaurant review in so long, so I think it's time to empty my camera phone of the tons of food pics piling on from a year+ of restaurant endeavors.

Groupons and Livingsocial deals are amazing, aren't they? And any other kinda deal I can get my hands on. Half price deals + it gives me the opportunity to try new restaurants I ordinarily wouldn't even know existed.

This time my Livingsocial deal enabled me to try a new-to-me sushi joint in Florence, KY called Sushi Thai Restaurant and Bar. Yep, that's the name. Kind of a lazy name, right? At least they let you know what they're serving!

We pulled up on a Friday night and the exterior wasn't anything special. It looked like a dinky bar you'd find in a plaza or strip mall. That's ok though, I don't like to judge books by their covers.

When we entered, it wasn't a whole lot better. It was pretty slow on a Friday night, with us and maybe two other tables. No reservation needed at all. It was small inside, with a whole back portion closed off. Small dark tables with pink folded cloth napkins displayed on top. Big flat screen tvs for cooking show watchage. Not a word, btw. Sorry, you'll have to get used to my very own Desi language.




We were greeted by our adorable and super sweet waitress. It took us a little minute to decide what to order, considering the sushi menu is quite expansive. I really like how they list all of the sauces with a description of each. I've never seen any other sushi place do that before. I also liked their coding, with a T for tempura, C for cooked, R for raw, and M for mixed. 

 




























































We ordered the Daniel Boone, Kentucky Roll, and Florence Roll. I could tell immediately when it was brought out to us that it wasn't going to be the best sushi I've had....

Let's start with the Daniel Boone ($10.95), which was tempura fried and had crawfish, asparagus, jalapeno, lemon, tobiko and served with sumo sauce (garlic ginger cream sauce). It was crazy spicy! Like uncomfortably spicy. I had to remove the jalapenos. We weren't expecting that. It was a different kind of tempura than I've ever tasted as well. The sauce on top was a bright yellow which resembled mustard. I'm not sure why there was a yellow and brown sauce on top, considering it only comes with sumo sauce. Also, they stacked the rolls so some of the ones on bottom didn't have any sauce on them at all. Boo to that.

The Kentucky Roll ($8.95) was the most disappointing. The menu describes it as a fancy roll with real crab meat, avocado, masago, asparagus, and tempura flake. These were pretty bland without any sauce. Also, we purposefully ordered rolls without cucumber and this was supposed to have asparagus but there was definitely cucumber in it. Yes, it was real crab instead of that imitation stuff but still, not impressed.

Last but not least was The Florence Roll ($12.95). This "super deluxe roll" had real crab meat, cream cheese, avocado, scallion, tobiko, and tempura flake topped with baked spicy scallop and sumo sauce. This was my fave of the three we tried because of the topping. I like a little less cream cheese in my rolls but that's a personal preference. I loved the spicy baked scallop topping though. I wish we had ordered more of this roll!

























































Oh, one other strange thing. Once the discount was applied, the waitress brought us a machine thingy to pay the remaining balance by credit card, and I was trying to leave a tip on the original total before discount, but it wouldn't let me leave more than 100% tip! So my remaining balance was $6.72 and so I couldn't leave a tip higher than that, even though I wanted to leave 20% of the total bill. Seems like they may wanna get that together because they are shorting their waitresses out of higher tips! 

We eat a ton of sushi, and this was probably my least favorite sushi joint we've tried so far. Needless to say, we won't be going back. We were a bit surprised at the high ratings on Urbanspoon and Yelp. To each his/her own I guess. I was still happy to try a new place thanks to my Livingsocial deal though.


Peace, and bacon grease!






Sushi Thai Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Faith said...

That's always a bummer. I hate bad sushi.

Chris said...

Odd about the tip limit, wonder if that is the credit card company or the service that the restaurant uses.